New posts about Japan are regularly published on Kanpai.
How to say Happy Birthday in Japanese
Another expression we are often asked to translate into Japanese is "happy birthday". This page explains everything, whether you are...
The Japanese Kit Kat: What a Selection!
No discussion of Japan would be complete without mentioning Kit Kat...
Why do Japanese people wear masks
Following the swine flu outbreak in 2009, the world seems to have...
Donguri: The official Ghibli Shops in Japan
Huge lovers of Ghibli that we are can never get enough of it, but...
Welcome to Kanpai!
Japan travel guide and Japanese culture.
Sign up for our newsletter to get new content by e-mail:
One picture of Japan every day
-- Taken in Sanjusangendo (Eastern Kyoto)
Latest Kotaete questions
- From 16 to 17 July -- Gion Matsuri Festival in Kyoto
- 17 July -- On July 17, 1868, Edo was renamed Tokyo.
- 19 July -- End of rainy season (Tsuyu) in Japan
- 20 July -- Sea day / Umi no Hi in Japan (holiday)
- From 24 to 25 July -- Tenjin Matsuri Festival in Osaka
- 25 July -- Sumida River Fireworks in Asakusa
- 6 August -- Anniversary date of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima in 1945
- 9 August -- Anniversary day of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki in 1945
- From 12 to 15 August -- Awa Odori Festival in Tokushima, Shikoku
- 15 August -- Anniversary date of Japan's surrender in 1945
- 16 August -- Daimon-ji fires in Kyoto
- 31 August -- End of season for climbing Mount Fuji
- 3 September -- Anniversary date of Tokyo's establishment after the Meiji restoration in July 1868
- 16 September -- Tsurugaoka Hachimangu (Yabusame) Festival in Kamakura
- 21 September -- Autumn starts in Japan