New posts about Japan are regularly published on Kanpai.
Maid cafe - The otaku experience
During our previous trips to Japan, we had never had the opportunity of attempting the Maid café experience. But even though this...
How to Write in Japanese on your Keyboard
When you start learning Japanese, you want to be able to switch...
Shimokitazawa - The hipster district of Tokyo
A thousand wonders lie hidden beyond Tokyo’s Yamanote line and...
Overweight in Japan: Between discrimination and marshmallow
There is no denying that discrimination is not just about ethnic...
Akihabara - Tokyo’s electric town for geeks and otaku
Akihabara is one of the most famous districts in Japan’s capital...
Welcome to Kanpai!
Japan travel guide and Japanese culture.
Sign up for our newsletter to get new content by e-mail:
One picture of Japan every day
-- Taken in Fushimi Inari Taisha (Southern Kyoto)
Latest Kotaete questions
- 22 October -- Jidai Matsuri Festival in Kyoto
- 29 October -- Isao Takahata's birthday (born in 1935)
- 31 October -- Halloween in Japan
- 3 November -- Festival of Culture (Bunka no hi - holiday)
- 14 November -- Shichigosan: festival of children of 3-5-7 years in Japan
- 18 November -- Anniversary date of the Suica card (initiated in 2001)
- 21 December -- Winter starts in Japan
- 23 December -- Birthday of the Emperor of Japan
- 25 December -- Christmas in Japan
- From 31 December to 1 January -- Eve and New Year in Japan
- 5 January -- Hayao Miyazaki's birthday (born in 1941)
- 11 January -- Seijin no Hi: adult day (20 years) in Japan
- 3 February -- Setsubun: celebration of the arrival of spring
- 14 February -- Valentine's Day in Japan
- 3 March -- Hina Matsuri: little girls' festival in Japan