New posts about Japan are regularly published on Kanpai.
Todai-ji - Nara’s Great Buddha Temple
Although Todai-ji shares its kanji with the name of Tokyo University, this is really all they have in common. Todai-ji is, indeed,...
Shikina-en - Okinawa Japanese Gardens
The beautiful gardens of Shikina-en are probably the best known...
Yasukuni - The Ultimate Reference for Sakura in Tokyo
Yasukuni Shrine is usually mentionned in connection with the...
Tenryu-ji - The Great Temple of the Heavenly Dragon
Tenryu-ji is the most remarkable of Kyoto’s five great temples and...
Nara Park - The Cornerstone of the Town of Nara
Nara’s great Park is probably the attraction most massively visited...
Welcome to Kanpai!
Japan travel guide and Japanese culture.
Sign up for our newsletter to get new content by e-mail:
One picture of Japan every day
-- Taken in Hamarikyu (Chuo)
Latest Kotaete questions
With Kotaete, our Q&A module, submit all your questions about Japan to the Kanpai community and share your knowledge.
Latest Isshoni requests
With Isshoni, which means "together" in Japanese, find travel companions to share time in Japan at your preference.
- 21 December -- Winter starts in Japan
- 23 December -- Birthday of the Emperor of Japan
- 25 December -- Christmas in Japan
- From 31 December to 1 January -- Eve and New Year in Japan
- 5 January -- Hayao Miyazaki's birthday (born in 1941)
- 8 January -- Seijin no Hi: adult day (20 years) in Japan
- 3 February -- Setsubun: celebration of the arrival of spring
- 14 February -- Valentine's Day in Japan
- 3 March -- Hina Matsuri: little girls' festival in Japan
- 14 March -- White Day in Japan
- 21 March -- Spring start in Japan (sakura cherry blossom season)
- 1 April -- Beginning of the fiscal year in Japan
- From 29 April to 5 May -- Japanese Golden Week
- 13 May -- Mother's Day in Japan
- 6 June -- Beginning of the rainy season (Tsuyu) in Japan