New posts about Japan are regularly published on Kanpai.
Omotesando - Tokyo's Champs-Elysees
Omotesando is an avenue located between the famous Harajuku train station and its little sister Aoyama, in Shibuya district in Tokyo...
Shikina-en - Okinawa Japanese Gardens
The beautiful gardens of Shikina-en are probably the best known...
Yasukuni - The Ultimate Reference for Sakura in Tokyo
Yasukuni Shrine is usually mentionned in connection with the...
Tenryu-ji - The Great Temple of the Heavenly Dragon
Tenryu-ji is the most remarkable of Kyoto’s five great temples and...
Welcome to Kanpai!
Japan travel guide and Japanese culture.
Sign up for our newsletter to get new content by e-mail:
One picture of Japan every day
-- Taken in Nagoya Castle (Nagoya)
Latest Kotaete questions
With Kotaete, our Q&A module, submit all your questions about Japan to the Kanpai community and share your knowledge.
Latest Isshoni requests
With Isshoni, which means "together" in Japanese, find travel companions to share time in Japan at your preference.
- 3 February -- Setsubun: celebration of the arrival of spring
- 14 February -- Valentine's Day in Japan
- 3 March -- Hina Matsuri: little girls' festival in Japan
- 14 March -- White Day in Japan
- 21 March -- Spring start in Japan (sakura cherry blossom season)
- 1 April -- Beginning of the fiscal year in Japan
- From 29 April to 5 May -- Japanese Golden Week
- 13 May -- Mother's Day in Japan
- 6 June -- Beginning of the rainy season (Tsuyu) in Japan
- 21 June -- Summer starts in Japan
- 1 July -- Season start for climbing Mount Fuji
- 16 July -- Sea day / Umi no Hi in Japan (holiday)
- From 16 to 17 July -- Gion Matsuri Festival in Kyoto
- 17 July -- On July 17, 1868, Edo was renamed Tokyo.
- 19 July -- End of rainy season (Tsuyu) in Japan