New posts about Japan are regularly published on Kanpai.
Ushiku - The largest Buddha in the world
The recurring question of which Buddha in Japan is the largest of all remains open to debate although the names of the very famous...
Why the Japanese are more civilized than the rest of the world
It is a cliché as worn out as the phrase “between tradition and...
Himeji - And its famous medieval castle
The good thing about Himeji, when you are a tourist, is that it is...
Ueno - Tokyo’s working-class neighborhood
Ueno is one of Tokyo’s largest quarters, located to the north-east...
Welcome to Kanpai!
Japan travel guide and Japanese culture.
Sign up for our newsletter to get new content by e-mail:
One picture of Japan every day
-- Taken in Jigoku Meguri (Beppu)
Latest Kotaete questions
- 31 August -- End of season for climbing Mount Fuji
- 3 September -- Anniversary date of Tokyo's establishment after the Meiji restoration in July 1868
- 16 September -- Tsurugaoka Hachimangu (Yabusame) Festival in Kamakura
- 21 September -- Autumn starts in Japan
- 21 September -- Day of the elderly in Japan (Keiro no Hi - holiday)
- 23 September -- Autumn Equinox (Shunbun no Hi - holiday)
- 22 October -- Jidai Matsuri Festival in Kyoto
- 29 October -- Isao Takahata's birthday (born in 1935)
- 31 October -- Halloween in Japan
- 3 November -- Festival of Culture (Bunka no hi - holiday)
- 14 November -- Shichigosan: festival of children of 3-5-7 years in Japan
- 18 November -- Anniversary date of the Suica card (initiated in 2001)
- 21 December -- Winter starts in Japan
- 23 December -- Birthday of the Emperor of Japan
- 25 December -- Christmas in Japan