Nordisk Village (Review)
Luxury Camping in the Goto Islands
Nordisk Village is a Scandinavian-style luxury lodging and camping located in Goto City on Fukue Island, off Nagasaki in Japan. Opened in September 2018, Nordisk is the first of its kind to settle in Asia. It offers the experience of "glamping", in other words, the association of the glamour of a cozy hotel to the adventure of camping in the heart of an abundant nature.
Nordisk Village’s concept exists in several western countries, especially in Italy. On a far more remote and secluded location in the Japanese archipelago’s territory, Goto Islands’ Nordisk Village offers a very pleasant and original accommodation experience for one night under the stars.
Glamping amidst mountains and rice paddies
The main features of this luxury camping are :
- Staff available 24/24 and 7/7;
- Several large cotton tents in the outdoor;
- A building sheltering all the shared amenities: living-room, kitchen, bathroom and toilets.
The main building of a former elementary school closed years ago is now a shelter for the residents of Goto’s Nordisk Village. The inside was refurbished with clean and modern amenities and a simple decoration imbued with nostalgia for the time it was full of pupils. Classic hotel 🏨 rooms are also available, for the ones who are not enthusiastic about sleeping in a tent.
Two types of tents are available, with a maximum capacity of three adults and two children per tent:
- Asgard with a 19m² superficies,
- Vanaheim with a 24m² superficies.
Moreover, Nordisk Village has recently reduced the number of tents so that each of them could maintain the best privacy.
Inviting and comfortable, all tents have a living-room area with a little sofa, and a night space with two simple beds, completed by a few convenient items such as a flashlight to move around at night, some mosquito repellent, earplugs and towels. Tents also have a very important feature: a reversible air-conditioning, so that guests would not be bothered by the summer heat or winter cold to sleep!
Surrounded by the lush countryside, the village seems disconnected from the rest of the world. Each night, the staff and the residents gather around a campfire to enjoy meeting each other and admire the stars. On a side note, the site has a small outdoor above-ground pool to freshen up in summer. The nearest beaches 🏖, Kojushi and Tao, are at a ten minutes’ drive.
A flexible restaurant service
Three possibilities are available for dinner:
- Self-cooking in the shared room (you must do grocery shopping before arriving and pay an additional fee for using the kitchen).
- Rent a barbecue on site and taste the local Goto beef.
- Make a reservation at the TaoFlat Kitchen restaurant located in the former school. The chef prepares meals based on the island’s local products and deliciously associates Japanese and Western flavors.
Nordisk Village perfectly fuses in the ambiance of Fukue Island, an unusual destination in Japan where the cultures of the world elegantly blend.