Tsukishima - The artificial island home of monjayaki
Tsukishima is an artificial island that was constructed at the end of 19th century. It is located near the Tsukiji and Toyosu fish...
Tax-free and duty-free in Japan
The Japanese added value tax, called "consumption tax," may not be...
Matsue - A historical city at the water's edge
Matsue is the capital city of Shimane Prefecture, located along the...
Map of Japan
Sign up to our newsletter so you won't miss anything
Every Thursday, a new article about Japan is published on Kanpai. More about that.
Kamigamo - The thunder god shrine in Kyoto
Latest Kotaete questions
With Kotaete, our Q&A module, submit all your questions about Japan to the Kanpai community and share your knowledge.
Latest Isshoni requests
With Isshoni, which means "together" in Japanese, find travel companions to share time in Japan at your preference.
- 21 September -- Autumn starts in Japan
- 23 September -- Autumn Equinox (Shunbun no Hi - holiday)
- 22 October -- Jidai Matsuri Festival in Kyoto
- 29 October -- Isao Takahata's birthday (born in 1935)
- 31 October -- Halloween in Japan
- 3 November -- Festival of Culture (Bunka no hi - holiday)
- 18 November -- Anniversary date of the Suica card (initiated in 2001)