Taiko - Japanese traditional drums
When we think about the sounds of Japanese festivals, one particular percussion instrument comes to mind: the taiko, a big oval drum...
Ebisu - Shibuya’s chic and casual district
Ebisu is a district located in the Shibuya Ward, in the heart of...
A Guide To Do Laundry in Japan
When we travel, easily and conveniently doing laundry is, without a...
Gion Matsuri - Kyoto’s biggest float-pulling festival
Gion Matsuri is one of the more important annual festivals of Kyoto...
Map of Japan
Sign up to our newsletter so you won't miss anything
Every Thursday, a new article about Japan is published on Kanpai. More about that.
Himiko cruise - The Leiji Matsumoto boat ride in Tokyo
Latest Kotaete questions
With Kotaete, our Q&A module, submit all your questions about Japan to the Kanpai community and share your knowledge.
Latest Isshoni requests
With Isshoni, which means "together" in Japanese, find travel companions to share time in Japan at your preference.
- Looking for a travel buddy to explore Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe/Tokyo mid to late November 2019
- Looking for a travel buddy to explore the Kumano Kodo hike 1st/2nd week of August 2019
- Explore Japan for 2 weeks in January 2020
- Hokkaido (Autumn 2019) for 10-12 days
- Fukuoka, Osaka, Tokyo Travels August September 2019
- From 1 to 31 July -- Gion Matsuri Festival in Kyoto with float processions on July 17 and 24
- From 24 to 25 July -- Tenjin Matsuri Festival in Osaka
- 27 July -- Sumida River Fireworks in Asakusa
- 6 August -- Anniversary date of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima in 1945
- 9 August -- Anniversary day of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki in 1945
- 11 August -- Mountain day / Yama no Hi (holiday)
- From 12 to 15 August -- Awa Odori Festival in Tokushima, Shikoku