The natural form of the lake dates from about 3,000 years ago. According to a famous Japanese legend, a dragon with 9 heads settled into it, terrorizing the region during Nara period (710-794). Only a human sacrifice was able to calm the dragon. One day, a monk succeeded in cursing the dragon, sealing him within the lake. In time, the dragon became the protective deity of the place.
To reach the banks or cross the lake, several boarding docks can be used. Principal among them are:
- Togendai in the north,
- Hakone-machi in the south,
- Moto-Hakone in the southeast.
It is possible to walk between the two southern docks, which are located about 30 minutes apart. Onshi-Hakone Park, which offers a magnificent view of the lake, was part of the old Tokaido Road, and the Hakone checkpoint lies between the two docks.
With a Hakone Free Pass, it is common to take a one-way boat ride from the north shore to the south shore and continue on to visit Hakone. The visit, in its simplest form, consists of a succession of several transports across the mountain. Therefore, we advise starting the cruise at the south docks and traveling to the Togendai docks to avoid the massive crowds of tourists following the usual path.
There is also another, humbler type of cruising boat on the lake that is not included in the Hakone Free Pass. This boat offers stops on the east shore of the lake, close to the cable car that climbs up to Hakone Mototsumiya Shrine.
A former pirate vessel, the boat offers several comfort levels for a quick cruise. First Class is available for an additional fee. Moreover, it is worth noting that the deck is wheelchair accessible. Hot and cold drinks and some snacks can be bought during the cruise. Sometimes, however, the boat is crowded, and indoor seating is not guaranteed in the event of bad weather.
Usually, the cruise is pleasant, but this depends on the weather. Under a blue sky, the view from the upper deck is ideal for admiring Mount Fuji; this is usually the case in winter. It is also interesting to see the local sites that we just discussed, such as Hakone Shrine, from another point of view. When it is raining or if the sky is gray, the cruise is only a convenient means of transportation from one part of the lake to another. Indeed, under these conditions, the sacred mountain cannot be seen.
Beside the cruise, other activities are available, such as pedal boats at Moto-Hakone or canoes from the Togendai docks. To fully enjoy one’s visit, it is necessary to spend several hours there, compromising other activities and interests around Hakone, such as temples, shrines, museums or onsen, all much more specific to Japan than a quiet, classical cruise.
How to get to Ashi Lake
From Hakone-Yumoto Station :
- South access: ~ 45 minutes by Hakone-Tozan bus, Line H, Hakone-machi stop or Moto-Hakone stop (¥960 / ~US$ 9.10 or fully covered by Hakone Free Pass)
- North access: ~ 40 minutes by Hakone-Tozan train, Gora stop, then ~10 minutes de funicular until Sounzan stop, then ~25 minutes de cable car until Togendai stop (¥1,790 / ~US$ 16.90 or fully covered by Hakone Free Pass)
Location unreachable with the JR Pass
Get there with a rental car
Fully covered by Hakone Free Pass
- From Moto-Hakone or Hakone-machi to Togendai: ¥1,000 (~US$ 9.40) one way and ¥1,840 (~US$ 17.40) round trip
- From Hakone-machi to Moto-Hakone : ¥360 (~US$ 3.40) one way
Get your Japanese Yens free of charge
Cruise: open daily except in cas of very bad weather
- From December to February: from 9:30 a.m. from Hakone-machi and 10 a.m. from Togendai to 15:30 p.m. from Hakone-machi and 16:10 p.m. from Togendai
- March 1 to 19: from 9:30 a.m. from Hakone-machi and 10 a.m. from Togendai to 16:10 p.m. from Hakone-machi and 16:40 p.m. from Togendai
- March 20 to July 25 and August 26 to November 30: from 9:30 a.m. to 16:20 p.m. from all the docks
- July 26 to August 25: from 9:30 a.m. to 17 p.m. from Hakone-machi and 17:30 p.m. from Togendai
How long / when to visit
- ~ 30 minutes from Moto-Hakone or Hakone-machi to Togendai
- ~ 10 minutes from Hakone-machi to Moto-Hakone
Weather in Hakone
25 / 31°C
26 / 32°C
Stay connected with a Pocket Wifi in Japan
Stay protected under any circumstance
Hakone Sightseeing Cruise Official Website (in English)